Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo warned hospitals Monday to pick up the pace of Covid-19 vaccinations, adding that New York State will provide workers to help administer the vaccinations in nursing homes.
He ran through a list of hospital vaccination rates, naming those with lower rates, including Nassau University Medical Center at 19 percent, and contrasting them with others in the state, such as New York Presbyterian Healthcare System at 99 percent. Northwell Health, the largest hospital system in the state, came in at 62 percent.
“We want those vaccines in people’s arms,” Cuomo said multiple times. He said hospitals unable to meet a deadline of administering all vaccines already allocated this week could face fines of up to $100,000. Hospitals also face the possibility of not receiving vaccines in the future if they don’t meet the deadline.
He also warned again about improper vaccine administration to people not yet eligible and said that “You are going to see fraud in this vaccine. It’s valuable, it’s money.”
Cuomo said that the list of people eligible now for the vaccine has expanded. To verify your eligibility, visit ny.gov/vaccine. The state has launched a new “Am I Eligible ” app to help residents determine their eligibility, connect them with administration centers, and schedule appointments. To access the app, as well as find the latest information concerning the vaccine and its administration, visit: https://covid19vaccine.health.
Meantime, the state recorded another 170 deaths, including 20 in Suffolk County.
- Test Results Reported – 134,360
- Total Positive – 11,209
- Percent Positive – 8.34%
- Patient Hospitalization – 8,251 (+288)
- Patients Newly Admitted – 925
- Hospital Counties – 56
- Number ICU – 1,357 (+13)
- Number ICU with Intubation – 843 (+28)
- Total Discharges – 104,939 (+537)
- Deaths – 170
- Total Deaths – 30,648
The statee will aid the federal government’s Nursing Home Vaccination Program, in which staff and residents receive vaccinations through a partnership with pharmacies like CVS and Walgreens. According to the latest data, 288 facilities – or 47 percent – have completed the first dose for residents. Through state facilitation, 234 more facilities will administer the first dose this week. This will ensure that 85 percent of facilities have administered the first dose to residents by week’s end, with the remaining 15 percent to be completed over the next two weeks.