HIgh school football teams will be competing Sunday, not on the gridiron but on the grounds of grocery stores around Huntington.
Organized by Kevin Thorbourne, director of minority affairs for the Town of Huntington, and Town Councilman Sal Ferro, the teams will compete to collect the most food donations, which will then be given to local food banks.
As a reward, the Ferro Foundation will award $5,000 to the team that collects the most non-perishable items.
“I wanted to help schools and pantries in Huntington,” Ferro said. “This is something that the town needs,” Ferro said. He declined to play favorites and pick a team to root for.
The teams will be collecting from 12 to 4 in most locations.
- Harborfields: Greenlawn Farms 777 Pulaski Road, Greenlawn (2-4pm)
- Huntington Blue Devils: Stop & Shop 60 Wall St., Huntington
- Whitman Wildcats: Stop & Shop 1100 Jericho Turnpike, Huntington
- John Glenn: Stop & Shop 3126 Jericho Turnpike, East Northport
- Northport Bobcats Football Team: Stop &Shop 454 Fort Salonga Road, Northport
Commack High School is collecting donations at the school.