Updated: 7:12 p.m. The National Weather Service issued a hurricane watch Friday for the Huntington area.
Tropical Storm Henri is expected to move in the area and into southern New England over the weekend.
The storm is expected to more seriously affect eastern Long Island and southern New England on Sunday.
PSEG-LI, however, said it was preparing for heavy rains and high winds with peak gusts ranging from 30 to 35 mph in western areas and 50 to 65 mph on the east end of Long Island beginning Sunday morning. It also said that some outages could last up to seven to 10 days.
The Huntington area is expected to get a mix of sun and rain over the next few days, including: Partly sunny, with a chance of showers and thunderstorms through the day and evening on Friday; high humidity and increasing chance of rain through Saturday, with tropical storm conditions possible Saturday evening, along with hurricane conditions possible; on Sunday, possible tropical storm conditions and winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.
PSEG-LI said it has crews ready to respond throughout the storm, with more than 1,200 line workers, tree trimmers, surveyors and other utility personnel from both local and off-Island resources ready to work.
“We continue to monitor the track of Tropical Storm Henri,” said Michael Sullivan, senior director of Transmission & Distribution at PSEG Long Island. “As the storm makes its way up the coast, employees are preparing for the possibility of high winds that can cause flying debris, and bring down trees and power lines. We encourage our customers to do the same at their homes and businesses.”
The utility also suggested that customers
- Download the PSEG Long Island mobile app to report an outage and receive information on restoration times, crew locations and more.
- To report and receive status updates via text, text OUT to PSEGLI (773454) or visit us online at www.psegliny.com/outages
- To report an outage or downed wire call PSEG Long Island’s 24-hour Electric Service number: 800-490-0075.
- Follow PSEG Long Island on Facebook and Twitter to report an outage and for updates before, during and after the storm
- View PSEG Long Island’s outage information across Long Island and the Rockaways online at https://mypowermap.psegliny.com
The Suffolk SPCA issued several storm-related tips, including making sure your pet has a ID collar and rabies tag.
The Huntington Lighthouse Preservation Society canceled tours of the lighthouse scheduled for Sunday.