New Long Island Rail Road schedules will take effect May 23, with significant changes on several lines.
The new schedules include changes to off-peak and peak trains to allow completion of work on the Main Line Expansion Project and other major improvement projects such as the Jamaica Capacity Improvement (JCI) project.
The upgrades are part of efforts to transform the Long Island Rail Road and enable service to Grand Central.
The service changes listed below are highlights and key changes; there are additional service adjustments for both peak and off-peak service. Customers should check the LIRR TrainTime app before traveling or visit Long Island Rail Road PDF Timetables (mta.info), to view a pdf version of the new timetables.
“It is always one of our goals to provide the most reliable service possible whenever we are performing major infrastructure work,” said LIRR Interim President Catherine Rinaldi. “These service adjustments accommodate the final stages of work as we reach the homestretch of completing the LIRR’s most transformative projects, the Main Line Expansion Project and East Side Access. The schedule modifications optimize availability for crews to complete tasks, while minimizing disruptions to scheduled service.”
Summer-only trains on the Long Beach, Montauk, and Ronkonkoma Branches will return starting Memorial Day weekend.
Peak changes include addition of a connecting morning rush train, restoration of a Babylon Branch train, and added stops and departure time adjustments to others. Key adjustments include:
- The 6:07 p.m. from Atlantic Terminal to Babylon has been restored.
- A new train departs Jamaica at 7:37 a.m., operating express to Atlantic Terminal, with connecting transfers from Hempstead, Babylon, Ronkonkoma and Oyster Bay Branch trains.
- The 6:09 p.m. train from Penn Station to Babylon will return to its normal schedule and stop at Rockville Centre, Baldwin, and Freeport only.
- The 7:12 a.m. train from Huntington to Penn Station will have an added Hicksville stop at 7:29 a.m.
- The 6:21 p.m. weekday train from Penn to Ronkonkoma will now depart at 6:16 p.m.
There are significant schedule adjustments on the Huntington/Port Jefferson, Ronkonkoma, and Oyster Bay Branches, including:
- Weekend service between Penn Station and Huntington will operate hourly, with connecting service to/from Port Jefferson every 2 hours. Eastbound trains to Huntington will depart up to 13 minutes later.
- Midday weekday Ronkonkoma Branch westbound trains will depart up to 25 minutes later. Overnight eastbound trains will depart up to 29 minutes earlier.
- Midday eastbound trains to Oyster Bay will depart up to 26 minutes earlier.
- The 8:06 a.m. train from Jamaica to Oyster Bay will now depart at 7:53 a.m.
- A new weekday train departs Atlantic Terminal at 8:22 a.m. and makes all stops to Jamaica.
- The 11:21 a.m. train from Farmingdale to Penn station will not operate.
- The 10:25 p.m. train from Penn Station to Huntington will not operate. Customers should take the 10:37 p.m. train to Ronkonkoma and transfer at Hicksville for the Port Jefferson-bound train.
- The 11:14 p.m. train from Penn Station to Ronkonkoma will originate in Hicksville at 12:31 a.m. Customers should take the 11:39 p.m. train from Penn Station towards Huntington to connect with this train.
- The 11:22 p.m. train from Huntington to Penn Station will terminate at Hicksville, where customers can transfer to the 11:48 p.m. train to Penn Station, with added stops.