A Harborfields school district student was recognized recently by her school board for her work to collect and supply a team in Africa wih athletic equipment.
Oldfield Middle School student Olivia Rochlin collected 400 pounds of uniforms, cleats, shin guards, sock and other sports equipment for HELP International Uganda.
The district said that, after collecting the items, Olivia organized the collection with an inventory list and packed the items in suitcases weighing just under 50 pounds for transport.
“This is an extremely thoughtful undertaking that speaks volumes about your
character,” Director of Physical Education, Health and Athletics Robert Franco said regarding Olivia. “The time and commitment you have given to help others is everything we want our students to embody here in Harborfields.”
Huntington Faculty Art Show
Works produced by Huntington school district faculty will be on display March 6 for Huntington Arts Night.
“This will be our first annual Huntington Arts Night,” said Brian Stellato, district director of fine and performing arts. “The Huntington Arts-In-Ed Committee is helping to plan and facilitate the evening. Proceeds will go directly to Arts-In-Ed program funding for next school year. The event will feature the district art and music staff.”
Tickets will sell for $5, which will go to the arts-in-ed program. There will be a hands-on craft opportunity for students and their families and a faculty music recital concert. Art and music themed raffle baskets and a concession stand with food and refreshments will be available.
Doors will open at Huntington High School at 6:15 p.m. to view artwork and take part in craft opportunities for students and their families, with the concert scheduled for 7 p.m.
Assistant Principal Wanted
The Elwood School District has an anticipated vacancy for an assistant principal at John Glenn High School beginning on or about July 1.
Primary Functions and Responsibilities:
- To assist the principal in the administration and supervision of all instructional operations of the building
- To assume specific responsibility for those programs and activities assigned by the principal with emphasis on teaching and learning, specifically supervision of teaching staff, non-certified staff and student evaluation
- Thorough understanding of restorative practices for student management as it relates to the whole child approach
- Experience with scheduling preferred
- Comfort with all forms of technology specifically Google Suite
- Five years of successful teaching experience at the secondary level required. Experience as a secondary administrator preferred
- Strong foundation in curriculum and instruction
- Demonstrates expertise in building-wide student management systems
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- NYS Administrative certification (SBL, SDL, SAS/SDA)