The National Weather Service has issued a warning for high wind and heavy rain effective early Monday morning.
Because of the weather, pop-up Covid-19 testing sites, including the one at Huntington High School, will not operate Monday.
Winds are expected in the range of 25 to 40 MPH, with gusts up to 65 miles an hour. Strongest winds are expected between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
The NWS said that damaging winds could blow down trees and power lines. Even sturdy and well secured tent structures could be damaged, and widespread power outages are expected. Travel could difficult.
The warning was issued for all of Long Island.
People should avoid being outside in forested areas and around trees and branches. If possible, remain in the lower levels of your home during the windstorm, and avoid windows. Use caution if
you must drive, the service said.
Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo warned that the weather will affect most parts of the state. “This storm has the potential to cause widespread power outages across most of New York, and I have directed our state’s emergency response assets to be prepared to help our local partners should they need it,” Cuomo said. “New Yorkers across the state are heeding our guidance to stay home during the Covid-19 pandemic, but this storm makes that call all the more urgent.”
PSEG said it was prepared for the storm and that winds could reach 70 MPH. Its app can be downloaded at tiny.cc/PSEGLIapp
The utility gave this advice
- Download the new PSEG Long Island mobile app to report an outages and receive information on restoration times, crew locations and more.
- To report and receive status updates via text, text OUT to PSEGLI (773454) or visit us online at www.psegliny.com/outages
- To report an outage or downed wire call PSEG Long Island’s 24-hour Electric Service number: 800-490-0075 or use our web chat feature at www.psegliny.com
- Follow PSEG Long Island on Facebook and Twitter to report an outage and for updates before, during and after the storm
- Visit PSEG Long Island’s outage information across Long Island and the Rockaways online at https://mypowermap.psegliny.com
PSEG Long Island
Visit PSEG Long Island at: