The League of Women Voters of Huntington and Supervisor Ed Smyth helped eligible students at Walt Whitman High School register to vote on Wednesday.
The students had a breakfast, heard encouragement on the value of voting, and filled out paperwork to become voters for the first time.
According to the state Board of Elections, new voters must:
- be a United States citizen;
- be 18 years old (you may pre-register at 16 or 17 but cannot vote until you are 18)
- resident of this state and the county, city or village for at least 30 days before the election
- not be in prison for a felony conviction;
- not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court
- not claim the right to vote elsewhere.