The Suffolk County police and the Long Island Rail Road are reminding residents to expect heavy traffic starting Monday because of the PGA Championship at Bethpage State Park.
The railroad is recommending that residents take an LIRR train to Farmingdale Station and then use a PGA-sponsored shuttle bus.
Police are predicting heavier traffic at the Newsday parking lot st 235 Pinelawn Road, which will be used as an Uber and Lyft pickup and drop off site. Traffic will likely increase in the area, especially Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Heavier
The following roads have closures:
*Round Swamp Rd, between Quaker Meeting House Rd and Winding Rd. (24 Hour Closure)
*Round Swamp Rd, between Winding Rd and Town of Oyster Bay Landtek Facility. 5AM to 9 PM.
*Quaker Meeting House Rd, between Merritts Rd and Round Swamp Rd. 5AM to 9PM.
Spectator parking for the event has been designated at Jones Beach State Park.
Traffic delays can be expected on the state parkways, Rt. 135 and Rt. 110 in the area of SUNY Farmingdale
Eastbound LIRR train service to Farmingdale will depart from Penn Station, Woodside, Jamaica, Mineola and Hicksville. Connecting service will be available from Brooklyn. Those traveling to the 101st PGA Championship from eastern Long Island will be provided with direct service to Farmingdale from the Ronkonkoma, Central Islip, Brentwood, Deer Park and Wyandanch stations. Customers traveling from the Port Jefferson Branch should transfer at Hicksville for trains to Farmingdale. When changing trains, remember to take your ticket with you. For more information, visit www.mta.info/lirr. For assistance on your way to and from the 101st PGA Championship, look for LIRR personnel assigned to Farmingdale Station.
- To save on fares and avoid lines, buy Round-Trip train tickets to/ from Farmingdale in advance before boarding from any LIRR Ticket Machine, Ticket Office, or the MTA eTix® app (LIRR’s mobile ticketing app).
- Please activate MTA eTix right before boarding.
- Listen to train station announcements regarding track and platform changes.
- Make sure you get off the train at Farmingdale – the LIRR’s stop for the 101st PGA Championship.
- Bicycles will not be permitted on trains to the 101st PGA Championship.
- Do NOT drive to Farmingdale Station – NO parking is available.
- For your return trip, please allow adequate time to walk to the on-site bus terminal, board a PGA shuttle, ride to Farmingdale Station and have tickets validated before boarding.