The Town of Huntington will use a former bank slated for demolition to accept tax payments, starting Monday.
The drive-through window of the property at 295 New York Ave. will be available for those who are unable to use primary payment methods (mail, drop-off at the black “Tax Payments Only” mailbox at Town Hall, phone using Official Payments, or online). Those alternatives are still available.
“Due to the COVID 19 Crisis, it is critical that we comply with social distancing guidelines to safeguard the health of our residents and employees. The drive through allows us to provide a safe in-person option for those residents who are unable to pay otherwise,” said Receiver of Taxes Jillian Guthman.
Town Supervisor Chad A. Lupinacci said the former bank property at the corner of Gerard Street and New York Avenue is “the perfect location due to the existing bank drive-through and we were fortunate enough to already own the property but we are urging residents who can pay by mail, phone or online to do so in order to avoid long lines at the drive-through.”
The town bought the former Chase Bank in November, planning to demolish it by the end of March and expand the space that had already become a municipal parking lot. But as the epidemic arrived, those plans fell by the wayside.
- Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, (closed Memorial Day, Monday, May 25) ending June 1st for general collection; ending June 5th for seniors who have the Senior Low Income Exemption and/or Enhanced STAR as a direct offset on their tax statement (seniors who receive Enhanced Star as a check do not have the additional time).
- Credit card payments will not be processed at the window; Discover Card payments may be dropped off for processing later.
- The drive-through will solely serve as a payment window, not a place to present questions or to inquire about property tax grievances or exemptions, in order to keep the line moving and enable efficiency.
- Vehicles only, no foot traffic allowed.
- Must enter using the New York Avenue entrance; no left turns into the parking lot allowed (must enter from southbound New York Avenue traffic).
- Parking Restrictions: There will be no parking along the west side of New York Avenue from Gerard Street to Union Place Monday-Friday, 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM; Municipal Parking Lot 49, located adjacent to the north of the 295 New York Avenue property, will be closed to parking from May 9 through June 5.
Primary Payment Options
While Huntington Town Hall remains closed to the public, taxpayers are encouraged to use these primary payment methods for safety and to avoid potentially long lines at the drive-through location:
- Payment by Mail: Payments through the mail and go by the US post mark to determine payment timeliness. Mail payments to: Jillian Guthman, Receiver of Taxes, 100 Main Street, Huntington, NY 11743-6990
- Pay Online at http://www.huntingtonny.gov/
taxpayment(Official Payments, the payment processing vendor, charges a convenience fee for credit card and e-check payments)
- Pay by Phone: 1-800-272-9829 (use Jurisdiction Code 2012) with Official Payments.
- Drop Off at Town Hall: Residents may continue utilize the black mailbox to right of the main entrance to Town Hall labeled “Tax Payments Only” to drop off tax payments. Do not leave cash in the box.
Taxpayers with questions may call (631) 351-3217 or email [email protected].