The Town of Huntington wants you to pay your property taxes but prefers that you don’t come to Town Hall to do so.
Residents are urged to pay their taxes through the mail or by phone or online to avoid waiting on long lines in the cold outdoors at Huntington Town Hall as the tax payment wait will be limited to three people indoors.
“Recognizing the risk presented to the community by Covid, we are asking residents to make plans to pay their taxes by mail, by dropping the payment in an envelope in the black box outside of Town Hall labeled ‘Tax Payments Only,’ or by paying online or by phone by visiting https://www.huntingtonny.gov/taxpayment. By making a plan to pay property taxes without coming to Town Hall, you do a lot to keep yourself safe and to protect the health of essential workers that are working through this pandemic,” said Receiver of Taxes Jillian Guthman.
Property tax bills are scheduled to be mailed out in mid-December, after the Town receives the Tax Warrant from Suffolk County; the first half-payment will be due January 10, 2021.
“Many of our residents who pay in person are elderly and in the high-risk groups for COVID-19,” said Supervisor Chad A. Lupinacci. “We are under strict guidance from New York State. While these measures ensure your safety, it will result in long lines outdoors, so it would be best to pay by mail, by placing your payment in an envelope for drop-off in the Tax Receiver’s mailbox outside of Town Hall, by phone or online.”
Payment Options to Avoid Waiting Outdoors
Taxpayers are encouraged to use these payment methods:
- Payment by Mail: U.S. Postmark is used to determine payment timeliness. Mail payments to: Jillian Guthman, Receiver of Taxes, 100 Main Street, Huntington, NY 11743-6990; your cancelled check is your receipt but if you would like a receipt from the Office of the Receiver of Taxes, please include your entire statement with your payment.
- Envelope Drop-Off in Black Mailbox at Town Hall: Residents may continue to utilize the black mailbox to the left of the main entrance to Town Hall labeled “Tax Payments Only” to drop off tax payments in an envelope. Do not leave cash in the box.
- *Pay Online at https://www.huntingtonny.gov/taxpayment
- *Pay by Phone: 1-800-272-9829 (use Jurisdiction Code 2012) with ACI Payments, Inc./Official Payments.
*For online and phone payments only: ACI Payments, Inc./Official Payments, the third-party payment processing vendor, charges a fee for credit card and e-check payments.
Paying In Person
Tax payment hours are 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday at Huntington Town Hall, located at 100 Main Street, Huntington. Town Hall will be closed Dec. 24, 25 and January 1.
- Residents paying taxes in person must use the tax payment entrance on Irwin Place; only residents with a disability may use the ADA-accessible front entrance
Reserved Parking for Tax Payment
Unmarked and disabled parking spots in the small portion of the Huntington Town Hall parking lot adjacent to Irwin Place will be reserved for those paying taxes; the entire municipal parking lot at Town Hall may also be used by visitors who arrive at Huntington Town Hall to pay taxes,