Monday is Martin Luther King Jr. day, celebrating the life of the civil rights icon who was assassinated in 1968.
A day of service, music and prayer will highlight the federal holiday.
In Commack, the Suffolk Y Jewish Community Center will host Abraham’s Table, an interfaith celebration of peace led by Jews, Christians and Muslims. The Monday program will include the singing of “Lift Every Voice and Sing”; a Muslim call to prayer, a Buddhist prayer, a Jewish prayer of healing, dancing by Korean and Mexican ensembles, a choir, Jewish cantors and a Hindu prayer. The program begins at 4 p.m.
State Attorney General Letitia James will be the keynote speaker at a celebration Monday night at Bethel AME Church in Huntington. The NAACP event will begin at 6 p.m.
- The trash pickup schedule is unchanged
- There is no mail delivery
- Public schools are closed
- Most libraries are not open, though some, such as Half Hollow Hills, are sponsoring MLK Day activities. Check with your library to verify.
- Government offices are closed.
- Banks are closed.